Pages

Thursday 10 March 2016

Did Not Flee India, I Am Not An Absconder: Vijay Mallya

New Delhi:  Vijay Mallya, who owes nearly a billion dollars to banks, tweeted early this morning and reacted to reports that he has left the country despite a warning or look-out notice issued to airports to prevent him from travelling abroad.

"I did not flee India and neither am I an absconder," he said, and added that "I am an international businessman. I travel to and from India frequently."

In another tweet, he added that "As an Indian MP I fully respect and will comply with the law of the land. Our judicial system is sound and respected. But no trial by media."

Mr Mallya was granted huge loans by many state-run banks without adequate security for his Kingfisher Airlines even though it was clear the company was collapsing under the weight of its own extravagances.

The government acknowledged on Wednesday that while banks had asked the Supreme Court to ban the 60-year-old from leaving India, he had travelled abroad last week.

No comments:

Post a Comment